Monday, January 30, 2012

From A to B: Born To Die

Lana Del Rey's album is out today, and I created this illustration in anticipation.  
Probably quite appropriate because of the scrutiny she has been facing regarding her
fake-ness/authenticity.  I don't really care about that.  I'm enjoying listening to the Deluxe Version of Born To Die.

Lana Del Rey - Born To Die

The Details

I have done a short outline of the process that went into the making of this.  It was a little involved so I hope it makes sense.

Drawing the face...

1...

...2...

...3

Scanned and tidied

I scanned and adjusted the components in Photoshop, making sure it all works together.

I decided to get rid of the jewellery.


With the portrait layer mode set to 'Multiply' I added the inky back layer and messed with the hue to get it looking a little ethereal.  I didn't want to go for the obvious corporeal red.


The skull was drawn in pencil on tracing paper over the portrait to make sure it fits the picture.  Once I scanned it I inverted, so the black lines on paper look like white on black, and inserted it under the face layer with the layer mode on 'Screen'.


Ta Daaa!



7 comments:

  1. This is amazing!

    XoXo
    Plami

    http://www.fashionthrill.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I get this on a shirt???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kyle! It's not on a shirt at the moment, although that's definitely something I want to look at. I will be sure to let you know if it happens any time soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Abi, still interested in this as a shirt or a sticker!

    Have you considered uploading this to redbubble.com?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kyle! You are too kind. :) Although redbubble looks cool, I'm wary of contributing to those kind of print on demand sites. I would rather produce my own goods but have no plans for T shirts at the moment. You can get this as an A3 print from my Etsy shop here - https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/108743815/a3-print-born-to-die?ref=shop_home_active_15 - if you are interested. Cheers Kyle!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete